Friday, August 8, 2008

The Olympics


I am sitting here watching the Olympic Opening Ceremonies and working on my online classes, and I was just thinking what a cool thing the olympics are. I don't think that I have ever watched all of the Opening Ceremonies before, but this year they have been fantastic!! I am amazed at all of the planning and preparation that has gone into them. And it has been a lot of fun to listen to the commentators and all of the knowledge they have about what is being represented. I am amazed at the artistic-ness (sorry, I know that's not a real word...) that has been shown in the opening ceremonies. I particularly enjoyed the Tai-chi portion, and what they did with the movable type. Wow!! Awesome!!! I think that the Olympics are just such a great way to bring the world together. And I can only imagine that it would be such a great honor to represent your country at an event like this. I have to admit that sometimes I get a little teary-eyed watching the athletes sing along to their national anthems, especially the athletes from the United States. I think that this is such an awesome event and it will be so nice to have a break from watching the shows that are on tv every day to watch the Olympics. So good luck to all of the athletes! Let the games begin!! :)

6 comments:

Nancy said...

I also thought that the ceremony was cool. I love the olympic spirit. I thought the light men were pretty cool. It makes me wish I had gone to Salt Lake at some point to see the olympics while they were there.

Annette said...

Don't you just wish the Olympic spirit could carry around the world every day and everyone would just set aside their differences? I loved the drums!

Annette said...

Per your questions: No idea what Megan's obsession with China is unless it's that everything's "made in China". John Edwards is the U.S. Senator (ran for Vice President with Al Gore) who just admitted he "had a seriously lapse in judgement" and had an affair right after his wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He lied about it - shocker - and is just now coming clean.

Meags said...

i watched the opening ceremony too ... AMAZING!!! i have to agree that its pretty awesome and "emotional" to watch the athletes sing along to their own national anthems. my favorite, of course, was watching all the U.S. athletes walk out ... jord and i kept yelling out everyone's names that we know! it is soooo fun to see people you "know" ... it just makes it that more fun to watch the games ... this is going to be a great olympics! can't wait to watch it all!

Tricia said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets a little choked up during those moments. :) I'm so excited the Olympics are here again!

Ras Fam said...

Yeah for the Olympics!