Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Interesting Customers

I work at a printshop. I make business cards, flyers, posters, you name it and we can usually do it. Typically I don't mind helping customers, but there are just some days... Like today... Older gentlemen are pretty nice. As I'm sure any younger woman who works has experienced, they sometimes make an awkward comment about "what a cute young thing you are...". I smile and politely say "thanks". That might have to be the old me though. Let me just play out this scene for you. An older gentleman (over 70) came in today. I was friendly and took his order (30 copies - the whole job from start to finish would take me maybe 30 seconds). He was there for 45 MINUTES!!! During that time he asked me if I went to church and asked if I had found the Priesthood (I didn't really know what to say to that). He proceeded to tell me that he was excommunicated from the church (which is something I didn't know you go around telling complete strangers...). And then he said he was part of a group - the name of which I don't remember. He asked me if I knew what that was and when I said no he told me it was a POLYGAMIST COLONY! I didn't even know what to say. (Although I was worried that I was going to get kidnapped in my sleep). I just wanted him to pay and leave, heck I would've give him his job for free! Instead he asked me if he could share a scripture with me. The correct response should've been, "I'm sorry sir but I actually have a lot I need to get done" but instead I said, "sure". He said something to the effect of how a girl's long hair is glorious and a boy's long hair is rebellious (or something like that) and then told me that's why I should never cut my hair. I smiled and laughed a little and then thought about how short I was going to cut it next time I got my hair done (just kidding Devin).
We had quite a few people come in the store while this guy was there and luckily one of them decided he was going to help me out a little (unfortunately not necessarily by choice). He needed some business cards and needed them fast so I said I could help him out. As he was pulling up his files the old guy got him involved in the conversation so he turned to me and said, "I'll keep him occupied if you give me a good deal". You better believe I did! He talked to this guy for quite a while while I printed his cards and tried to work myself out of the conversation (also trying to apologize whenever possible). If I'm remembering the conversation right, it involved, playing cards (he asked me if I knew how many aces were in the deck - am I stupid?), the old guy pulling out a knife (which he said was a tool and not a weapon...), money (both how the US is trillions of dollars in debt and how paper money and coins are worthless - which is part of the reason his payment took so long), the business card guy asking the old guy if he was married (which I was really sad I didn't hear that whole response), guns and the Obama administration.
After the guy's business cards were done I tried to really show my gratitude (and apologize) because I was definitely VERY grateful! But it was a super awkward experience from the get go. I really hope that old guy doesn't come in any again (and if he does I told my coworkers I wouldn't help him). Sorry for the long story. After he left my manager told me I need to be less soft and friendly. I said I would try to be less friendly but less soft? I didn't know...
And that's how my day started off at work today...

12 comments:

Nancy said...

oh dont those kinds of customers just make the majority of us look so boring! I hate it when someone goes off like that because it really does make it so awkward! I guess call him a member missionary (just not one for our church!)

Nancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annette said...

That is the best story I've heard all week! Where Ron works that's called "Dementia"!

Kim Gishi said...

Oh my heck I was laughing from the first line. That is soooo funny. Next time he comes in (because you know he will, if he remembers where he was) have a Book of Mormon ready for him and tell him you've notified the missionaries so the next time he came in you'd get his info to pass onto them. He probably won't leave, but it'd be funny to get his reaction :)

The Frederick Family said...

oh awkward!
i remember a customer that came into staples last week that was similiar...he was excommunicated and had been researching indian tribe something or other and offered me a DVD called "What the Bleep; We're going down the rabbit hole".
Love those days.
too funny lianne - loved this post

Renae said...

Funny!
Not sure how to respond to that--but you might want to come up with a couple things before he (or someone else) shows up so you can get rid of them.

Good luck!

mom said...

When he said he had been excommunicated you could have said, "Oh, I'm so sorry you lost the truth." And when he said he was part of a polygamist group you could have said, "It is so sad how you dominate your women. Isn't one woman enough for you?" I am just joking of course but it would be fun to see someone's reaction. Way to try to be nice.

Matt and Mindi said...

OH that's great! I used to work at a bank and there were never a shortage of creepy old men. I think yours takes the cake as the worst story I've hear though!! I wonder where they come from. Was there something taught in the schools back in the 20's??

Leslie said...

Eeeeeee! Creep-town.

Kara and Todd said...

Yuk! I've definetly been through some of those down in Payson where I work. What is it about copy centers and old creepy men???

Kizzy said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. There's this older man that always comes in the bank and hits on me. He's a dirty old man and most the time I just brush it off, but the other day he went a little too far with his comments so I had to tell my manager about it. We'll see what happens. Creepy!

Cori said...

I can't believe you turned down the chance to be a sister wife! Just kidding! I laughed and laughed and then felt really sorry for you.
I really liked your moms comment. I think if he comes back you should totally do what she said.
funny!