Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Flood

On Monday night Kara and I were watching Mulan in our apartment when we started to hear something dripping. At first we thought it was some sort of animal or something, and then I looked over and noticed water dripping out of our light in front of our front door. So we walked over to the office and no one was there but there was an emergency maintenance number. I called it and then we waited for someone to come. During the waiting we walked upstairs to see if anyone was home, and no one was... So we waited. In the mean time, we started to see a few other water spots on the ceiling and we saw water dripping into our kitchen light fixture. The maintenance guy came and without looking at our apartment went upstairs. We waited for a minute and he never came back down so I went up and talked to him and he said that the water line to the ice machine in the freezer had broken and no one was home to catch the water. There was around 2 inches all over the kitchen floor and covering some carpet. I went over to talk to Tricia because my ceiling was now dripping pretty bad and when I came back the kitchen light case had fallen down. I went back upstairs to tell the maintenance guy that his had happened and he told me that he would take a look at it tomorrow. So I spent Monday night trying to soak up water and pick up the pieces of the light. When the maintenance guy came on Tuesday, they screwed a new light fixture back up and changed some other light bulbs. The light fixture in the washer room was also full of water so they dried that out for us as well and made sure that our washer and dryer still worked. So here are just a few pictures from our "fun" little adventure:

The broken light fixture:
The light and water spots on the ceiling:

The towels (I'm pretty sure we used every towel that we brought out here and even had to borrow a couple from Tricia...):
The water spots on the ceiling (thankfully not all of them dripped):
Our apartment smelled really bad on Tuesday, so we spent the last couple of days with the ceiling fans on, the windows open, and candles lit, hoping to air it out. Hopefully we can get rid of the smell soon. They said as soon as the ceiling is dry that someone will be by to spray stain remover and repaint it, although the maintenance buy had no idea when that was going to be. So that was our little adventure for the week. Not quite my idea of fun.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

I'm glad the flood didnt get to anything it could really do damage to like your TV. Hope the smell leaves soon.

Annette said...

What a bummer/adventure! Hope it's all fixed now.

mom said...

Not only what a bummer but I would be concerned for mold. If it starts to smell musty, get someone back in to check it out because, not to scare you, but the mold could make you sick. What a mess to have to deal with.

mom said...

Not only what a bummer but I would be concerned for mold. If it starts to smell musty, get someone back in to check it out because, not to scare you, but the mold could make you sick. What a mess to have to deal with.

Anonymous said...

oh my, I am so glad that you were over at tricia house when the huge light thing came down. That sucks! I hope its all fixed now.

Emily said...

Oh, I HATE water in the house more than anything! So destructive! Glad you were able to get it fixed and cleaned up. Yuck!

Ras Fam said...

Oh no! I can totally relate and not in a good way. Bummer, there is nothing worse than the smell, and more than likely if it's leaking out of the ceiling they should probably air the ceiling out, otherwise you will probably have mold. Not to freak you out but seriously if the smell isn't gone within a week or so on it's own have a flood restoration company check it out. I hope everything just fixes it self though so you don't have to have them haul all that noisy machinery in. Lianne I am so sorry and bummed for you!

Renae said...

Thank goodness your are renting and don't own the place. That would REALLY be a big headache.

While I was living in Texas a similar thing happened to us. The upstairs apt. had a problem with their washing machine. Fortunately they were home. However, the water got into the alarm system and our alarm went off and stayed ON for a couple of hours before the maintenance guys could take care of it. It was not fun--I had to just stay in my room with the door closed to remotely be able to deal with the noise.

Kara and Todd said...

I still can't believe how fast that all happened. It was madness! But i'm glad to see your apt is all fixed now and you don't have to move out of it. Lol. It sure was an adventure! :)