Saturday, August 16, 2008

Weird Sports

Sorry to write another post about the Olympics, but watching them today I have realized that there are a few weird sports in the Olympics. I watched the women's singles final of Badminton today. I remember trying to play Badminton when I was little, and I'm pretty sure we were lucky if we got more than 2 hits in. The commentator was saying that these girls hit the birdie at speeds upwards of 200 mph. Crazy!

I watched the women's singles final of Fencing the other day, and it was not at all what I expected it to be. I have never seen a fencing match before, but I definitely pictured more hitting and blocking with their foils instead of just taking steps, lunging, and getting in a hit. It was not as exciting as I thought it would be...

I have yet to see a Table Tennis game in the Olympics, but I still can't believe that Table Tennis is an Olympic sport. Although I am amazed every time that I watch professionals play. There again, it is quite different from when we played it in the garage or on the mini table in the basement...

The other sport that I didn't ever expect to be an Olympic sport is the Trampoline. Who would have thought to make that an Olympic sport? I watched that one for the first time today, and it was pretty fun to watch. I don't think I was ever even able to do a flip on a trampoline!

Even though I think that these are kind of weird sports for the Olympics, I still admire all of the athletes that compete in them. And I can't wait to see what's coming up in the Olympics. :)

2 comments:

mom said...

I have to say that there are a few sports I have enjoyed--of course the swimming with Michael Phelps, and the 42 year old woman, and the basketball and volleyball,some gymnastics, but...there is a lot I do not care to watch. I hate to admit it but I get a little tired of night after night and am looking forward to the end and Dad coming to bed at a decent time.

Emily said...

Trampoline was a weird one for me, too. Man, do they jump high! Did you notice all the spotters, in case they jumped themselves off?