Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Popsicle Party

Let me start off by saying that I am not one of those people who can go out and have a great conversation with a complete stranger. I am probably not always as friendly as I could be. And I hate to admit that I couldn't give you all of the names of our neighbors. So Devin and I were given a calling by our bishop to set up little get to know your neighbors activities once a month. We did our first one tonight. We had a popsicle party. We scheduled it for half an hour from 6:30 to 7 thinking that people could come and stay for however long and it wouldn't be an all night event. We taped fliers to everyone's doors the end of last week. Right around 6:30 we headed out into the courtyard right in front of our house and set up a couple of camp chairs and a cooler with 3 bags of popsicles. Then we started throwing the frisbee and we waited. Around 6:50 we had a 2 couples show up. We saw one more walking to their apartment and asked them if they wanted a popsicle. All together we had 3 couples come by to chat. I don't blame anyone for not coming. To be completely honest, I don't know that I would've shown up if we weren't the ones in charge. We had a good time getting to know the people who came and hopefully we'll have a few more show up next time. Until then we'll enjoy the 2 and a half bags of popsicles that we have left. :)

10 comments:

Annette said...

That sounds like it would have been fun...and that's an interesting calling!!

Tricia said...

That is an interesting calling. At least hopefully you guys will get to know some of your neighbors! :) I'm sorry you didn't have a better turn-out though...

Leslie said...

Great idea!! Lame neighbors. :)

Nancy said...

That seems like how it goes anywhere you live. But by they 3rd or 4th month I bet you start getting a few more people out to say hi. Thats a good idea for the first get together though!

Renae said...

Hey, just bring all the popsicles to Aunt Gayle's 4th of July party and they'll be gone in about 5 minutes with all the kids there.

But keep trying. Those couples who came will spread the word and more will show up. And even if they don't then the 4 couples can continue to have great fun.

The Frederick Family said...

Hey, it sounds like my ward! No one socializes :)
Good luck with your calling! The Popsicle Party was a good idea!

mom said...

I give you an "A" for effort. I thhink the ball will start rolling. People are just lazy and don't want to put themselves out. Don't give up.

Kizzy said...

Ryan and I would've come:) I'm glad that you made an effort though! What party poopers but way to go.

Kim Gishi said...

First off, way cute header. You're lucky Devin will let you take his picture. Bryan's not as willing. And you had a win-win situation with that party idea - do your calling and end up with millions of popsicles. Way to go.

The Crazy Clawson's said...

it was the thought that counts..and i loved the fliers

ha ha ha ha