Tuesday, October 6, 2009

High School

I think it's really weird to be back at Waterford mostly because all of the students there seem so young. I went to one of the girls' volleyball games and it made me realize how much I miss volleyball. Volleyball was definitley a big part of high school for me. It's funny becuase I sometimes have dreams that I am a senior and that the coach won't let me play (which is especially weird because it was always my dad and I thought I was at least respectable...).

Anyways... Back to the point of this post. It was a lot of fun to watch the game tonight - the team is really good, but unfortunately they lost. After the game my mom and I talked to my dad (who is still the coach) about the game and the team in general. The conversation actually left me feeling pretty sad. I just felt bad for both the girls and my dad. I'm not sure what has changed over the last 4 years, but volleyball is just not the same as it used to be. It doesn't seem as fun for everyone involved and just talking about that made me feel pretty sad. I remember volleyball always being one of the great things in high school and it was definitely something that I looked forward to every year. So my question for you is is there anything from high school that you really miss? I know that I definitely don't miss a lot of things, but there are a few things that I do miss. High school for the most part was pretty good but I do especially miss volleyball. What do you think?

5 comments:

Annette said...

That's too bad about volleyball. I'm sure dad wishes you could be on the team again. It was always fun to watch you sisters play.

Hmmm...I'm trying to even remember high school it was so long ago! I think I felt back then like high school was the most important time of my life. Now that I'm much older I realize that it so wasn't. I guess maybe I miss how uncomplicated my life was back then, even though it didn't feel that way at the time. I didn't have grown-up stuff - or kid stuff - to worry about. Dating Ron was fun and I do miss seminary. If anyone were to ask me if I wanted to go back and relive my high school days, however, I would emphatically say a big no thanks!

Tricia said...

I could just write AMEN to everything both you and Annette said. I talked to mom today about that same thing and was left wondering what happened to high school volleyball as well. It's definitely one of the things I miss most. I think the other would be feeling that you had no big responsibilities and feeling like you could do anything and be anything. Know what I mean or am I just corny?

Leslie said...

Uh, no. I don't miss a single thing about high school. But I'm envious of people who actually liked something. The best day of my life was the day I got outta there!

Matt and Mindi said...

Good post. There are always things that you miss and don't about high school but, for me I was in a'capella and had tons of fun. And I miss being around friends everyday. I love being a mom now but, it is a lot less social ;)

mom said...

Okay, this shows how old I am. I loved high school. I wouldn't want to go back but I have nothing but fond memories from it. I loved being involved in lots of things: choir, our sextet, band, pep club and going to all the games, victory dances, dating Steve,early morning seminary, formal dances where we could actually dance and we spent the whole day decorating and transforming the gym to an amazing place, being a Girls' Federation officer and going to "Tri-State", having wonderful friends, the 3 of us did everything together, singing in a folk group with dad and Kim Manwaring even though there was a time when that almost cost us our relationship, and I loved just being young and feeling invincible. I felt I could do anything I wanted to. The bad thing about high school was knowing it would end and friends and life would change. I'm sorry if you all did not have that great experiene.